July 4, 2020

Let The Bumps Begin


Hello there. I'm Bob Giddings.

The date above no doubt surprises. It's not procrastination, though I'm really good at that. I had to leave this in the future so you wouldn't get it late. Go figure.

It all really started in early '01, when I bought a 5th wheel trailer and began making extended trips through the US and Canada. Since I retired from the Austin Fire Department in November '02, I've been living in it full time.

As I went along the road, I began writing home about my travels, to friends and family. Just little anecdotes about stuff that happened along the way to make me stop and take notice.

I call 'em "speed bumps" - things that make you slow down, willy-nilly. Some were modest. Others made my teeth clack together. No broken axles yet, though.

I posted most of these as a series of desultory intermittent travelogues to a newsgroup, rec.outdoors.rv-travel. Subsequently they morphed into an irregular journal, and lately into a companion of sorts.

I know. Sounds weird. Bob and his Blog. Like the Lonely Guy and his Dog.

Well, it's not so bad as all that. No poop to pick up. And a Blog doesn't usually shed all over everything, or bark in the night. There may even be a bit more conversational variety. But the darn thing still has to be exercised.  
I'm tempted to give it a name, dangerous as that sounds.


How about Wordsworth?  Here, boy.

Though I'd like to blame Wordsworth, the fact is I made all these smartass remarks myself. And took all but one or two of the pictures. So if something here ticks you off, I'm the guy to blame.

Feel free to send complaints. I'll file them in an appropriate place.


I'm a little vague now about the provenance, but I think it was Winston Churchill who once said, between brandies: "I am always ready to learn, though at times I do not like being taught."

Gotta love that guy.


One more thing. These are the impressions of a traveler, passing through. Not an obsessive researcher. They are therefore idiosyncratic, blinkered, momentary, oddball, and sometimes even (gasp) wrong. I wrote them as one-off items, literally on the side of the road, to placate the incessant clamor of my 2 or 3 fans.

After a while, they just growed, like Topsy, into a startling pile of stuff. I'm putting it all here without much attempt to edit or correct in hindsight. Might turn into work, and I'm retired.
I have added photos where they are available. Just click'em to see a larger image. Many episodes have none. I never knew I'd need 'em.

See what you think. Start here.

Bob

3 comments:

hobopals said...

Well, I started "here" and it lead me nowhere! Have I just missed this or did you post it, recently? I see you every now and then on Sue's blog so I know you're out there.

This is a gal and her dog! Picking up poop isn't so bad, but the hair would drive you nuts. You'd like him. He's comical and you could find things to write about him.

Just ragging' on you, Bob. I think I have introduced your Speedbumps to hundreds of people--why I've made you quasi -famous! (is that a real phrase?) I've even been asked if you have written any books.

I used to read rec., but never posted. I don't even know if newsgroups still exist since blogs came along.

So no dog for you--just the blog. You're right, it does need exercise.

Hope your brother is getting by as well as can be expected, and I hope that you are happy.

Did you know your word verification is on. It's a waste of time--have never had any spam so I don't use it.

Bob Giddings said...

sorry hobopals. I've been busy. I didn't know verification was on, I'll try to turn it off. Haven't had time to post much lately, between my bro and the new granddaughter. I haven't posted to rec.outdoors.rv-travel in years. The group got captured by a bunch of gun nuts and that's all they want to talk about.

I'm about run ragged, but going nowhere. Can't travel because my bro hasn't got anyone else to take him to the doctor, grocery store, etc. That's life.

O, I think I've got it fixed now. BTW, the original Speed Bumps is still available at
http://www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings/

It is not a blogger product.

hobopals said...

Bob, my fingers are crossed for your brother for whatever is best for him. I don't believe in prayer, but good thoughts and hope are as close as I can get, and they are with him and you, as well.

Congratulations on becoming a Grampa. I bet you're having fun with that. Your Speed Bumps will be a wonderful legacy for the little one.

I think I've said it to you before, but I'll say it again. I love the way you've written about those places where I think we stood at different times.

I don't think I'll live my dream to travel west, again, but I enjoy the writings of those who do. Unlike Sue, I love the green mountains. I'll have to be content with the mountains here in the east. Spring, Fall, and Winter. No summers for me.

I liked wandering around the west with Jack in my little trailer for six months--helped take my mind off the grief of losing Rich, and then my other lab, Lizzie. It helped Jack--he grieved as well.

Unfortunately, I didn't know about blogs when Rich and I traveled, together, but I kept diaries and 35mm photos. Blogging is a much better platform for expressing feelings, I think, but you can say things in private diaries that you wouldn't necessarily put on a blog. So, I value each.

In my little trailer, I wandered the backroads, could fit in tiny spaces, and for six months life was bearable, again.

So, when your Speed Bumps continue I'll be reading them if I'm still around. Again, the best for you and your brother. I know it hasn't been easy for either of you.